Session 4: Good News – The World is Ending!
It’s very important to keep in mind what’s already been covered in the first three sessions for each sets the framework for the entire series. Thus far, we’ve looked at how the Bible is reliable and can be trusted, we’ve considered the question of needing to decide who Jesus is to us, and we’ve recognized that the solution to life is really to be connected with Jesus (the problem being that Adam “disconnected” us). With this in mind, we can come to the conclusion that the world ending is good news!
1. Perception – What makes something good or bad?
- Perception determines our viewpoint (i.e. the glasses that we look through). Something that’s a supposedly good can be inherently bad if we let our (incorrect) perceptions dictate how and why.
- When we talk about the end of the world, most of our perception is marred by a Hollywood perspective – one of doom, gloom and sadness; basically an end to the triumph that is life. There is often imagery of heroic sacrifice, and mankind finally pulling through in the end.
- That however, is the devil’s counterfeit. The “real” end of the world is indeed good news, IF we use the Bible as the basis of our faith.
- The devil knows that his time is short (because he reads the Bible too!), and thus intensifies his effort to distract us from this good news!
2. Signs of the end
- In Matthew 24:3, the disciples asks what the signs of the end will be. Among them include false christs and prophets (Matthew 24:4-5) who will deceive the elect (Matthew 24:24). Some of them may even come out of the churches (2 Peter 2:1, Acts 20:29).
- Knowledge will also increase (Daniel 12:4); the advent of the Internet has created a global community and information superhighway like never before (see slides for some incredible stats).
- Matthew 24:6-7 points to the fact that there will be wars, rumours of wars, famines, pestilences and earthquakes in various places (see slides for more stats); this verse can effectively read more like the local evening news.
3. When Jesus comes back…
- He wants to connect with us now to give us life abundantly (John 10:10), but we’re still physically separated from him, as if we’re on the battlefield.
- Life can deal us many challenges, and Jesus can’t wait to permanently remove those!
- When He comes back, it’s going to be a GRAND event! He will come with power and great glory (Matthew 24:30), He will bring the angels with Him (Matthew 25:31) and every eye will see Him (Revelation 1:7).
- Every ear will hear, even those in the grave, and they will rise first! (1 Thessalonians 4:16,17, John 5:28).
- It’s the ultimate reunion and homecoming – Jesus has promised that He WILL take us home (John 14:3)
- He will gives new bodies and we will put on immortality (1 Corinthians 15:54-55), and there will no more death, sorrow, crying nor pain (Revelation 21:4).
Ultimately, the question is – Are we ready? The answer will be found in our perception of the end of the world; if it’s something to dread (like what the devil has painted), or if we’ll follow the Bible’s portrayal on what is undoubtedly not just good, but FANTASTIC NEWS as we will finally see Jesus face to face!