Session 3: Eternal Life Begins… TODAY
1. What is life?
- The basic tenant of Christianity is based on John 3:16, which offers eternal life to all if we believe in Jesus. However, what does this look like? Do we really want to live forever? (it’s NOT about sitting on a cloud and playing harps forever!)
- We all inherently want to live forever, and society seems to be obsessed in wanting to grant immortality. The kind of life that this world provides however, is a far cry from what God can provide (John 10:10)
2. Eternal Life
- God created everything good (Genesis 19-25), but when He created man and woman, it was VERY GOOD (Genesis 1:26-31)
- However, Adam and Eve chose to separate themselves from God (Genesis 3:8); the result of sin is total separation from God (Isaiah 59:2). It is us who push ourselves away from God (e.g. we’re pushing away from a wall)
- Adam, representing mankind, is now condemned to die (Romans 5:12) because sin separates us from God, the Source of Life (John 11:25-26; 14:6, 1 John 5:20)
- To reconnect, there are two things we must do. We must firstly recognize the problem and the situation that we’re in, knowing very well that NOTHING we can do is good enough to save us; our righteousness are like filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6)
- To be saved, to be reconnected, is to accept the gift of grace that only God can give to us (Ephesians 2:8,9). It’s a matter of life and death and it’s something we need to take seriously (Philippians 2:12, 1 Corinthians 10:12).
- The solution is in Christ, who came down in the form of Man to reconnect us to Him (Romans 5:18,19)
- While the wages of sin is death, we can have eternal life in Jesus our Lord (Romans 6:23)
- We can basically do all this in a “SNAP”
Sinner – confess that I am a sinner
Need – confess that I have a need
Accept – accept God’s plan of salvation through Jesus
Power – He will give us the power to live a new life for Him
3. The devil’s counterattack
- The devil is NOT happy at this simple and basic premise! So he counterattacks on two fronts.
- Firstly, he convinces people like George Sodini that it’s ok to kill and commit mass murder because God has already forgiven and died for us. Sodini believed that he was once saved, and thus always saved.
- This not biblical – while the penalty has certainly been paid at the Cross, the Bible tells us that we need to continually follow Him (John 10:27,28. The word “follow” is in the present indicative active, meaning that it’s meant to be something that’s happening the present)
- We can choose to fall away, just like some of Jesus’ disciples (John 6:66)
- The second attack that the devil has is to convince us that we’re not good enough, and that we’ll never be so we might as well just give up. Because of who we are, we’ll never have the assurance of salvation and eternal life.
- This is also a lie – Jesus has promised to NEVER cast us out (John 6:37), NOTHING will ever separate us (Romans 8:38-39), and by being connected to Him, we can certainly know that we have eternal life
In summary, the key to having eternal life today is simple – we merely need to be connected to Jesus today through His word, and we can have the assurance and confidence that we WILL be ready when He comes back to us home.